Getting straight into it, a polished concrete floor is easy to clean and maintain and done right, it can look amazing. Additionally, they afford flexible design options which means you can give the room your personality. You can also make easy but impressive changes down the line if you need to.
A polished concrete floor does not need stripping and waxing periodically, as do vinyl floors. This can surely save you bunches of money to put into other areas of the project and can save you the huge inconvenience of moving large objects and furniture to have the floor stripped and waxed under them.
Although there are many and a quick highlight of the benefits of polishing your garage floor are:
- Easy to clean
- Easy to paint
- Can epoxy the floor (read the advantages of that in this article)
- You can remodel the space to use as a man cave, an office or even a gym
- It’s a lot more fun working on your ‘toys’
While polished concrete surfaces require very little if not the least maintenance of all the floor types, they do require some. Here is what you need to do to keep you polished concrete surfaces shining and give you back what you put into them.
How To Clean A Polished Concrete Floor?
- To clean the floor, use a microfibre pad/mop. You can start by sweeping the floor to remove grit. Grit and particulate matter should be removed from the floor often because it can scratch the floor from the friction with the shoes. This in no uncertain way will affect the shine and look of the polished concrete.
- When mopping, use clean water to avoid streaks and spots which will show fairly clearly on the smooth shiny surface. A PH neutral floor cleaner is sufficient. No need to use a heavy industrial detergent. Use the recommended amount of detergent so that you can avoid residue build up on the floor. The instructions for how many parts to use are available on the package itself or on the MSDS sheet for the product.
- With spills, try to be proactive. Spills sitting on the floor tend to absorb into the concrete.
- Finally, if you feel the polished concrete surface is lacking luster, use a high-speed burnisher to bring the floor back to life.
Should You Epoxy Polished Concrete Floors?
For sure you can. In fact, it seems to be a popular choice. Here are some advantages to applying epoxy to a polished concrete surface:
- It can mask imperfections in the concrete.
- High gloss epoxy can really stand out making the floor shine. It looks great and can reduce the need for additional lighting due to its reflective nature thereby reducing energy costs.
- With epoxy, the floor becomes practically impervious and visually seamless.
- Clear epoxy can also be used if you prefer to keep the natural concrete look.
- Epoxy can also increase the floors weight bearing capacity and impact resistance.
How To Use The Garage As A Man Cave?
Among the most attractive incentives to have a polished concrete surface in your garage is the opportunity to use it as a man cave. For one thing, a man cave garage is sure to catapult you to the top of the neighborhood list and has known to fetch more facebook likes on your profile. Now you can truly express yourself, the way you want to. This will be your ‘home’ within your home – your sanity sanctuary.
The polished concrete floor in your garage will give you the blank canvas with which you can start the design process. Its versatility will allow you the flexibility of expression and its durability will boost the enjoyment by reducing maintenance costs. You can paint the floor or epoxy it using a variety of colors and textures and that’s just the starting point.
Move stealthy and graciously forward by putting in a bar fridge, and some focused lighting. Put in a security system to protect your 75 inch TV. Add the leather recliner you plan to command the field from with a cold brewsky in one hand. Decorate the room to let all who enter know who they need to root for and insulate to give them a warm welcome when they do.
Use The Garage As A Home Office
With the steady rise of the home office not to mention telecommuting, home offices are becoming the norm rather than the exception. You can choose to take up the family room (not a popular choice with the spouse) or you can descend to the basement, lonely and windowless as most basements are.
An alternative option is to transform your garage into a usable and premium space. Along with the huge ‘window’ it provides, the area is vacant for most of the day anyway. You can remodel it the way you prefer with flexibility and applicability. Important to note that most of the trend changing businesses we know of today started in the garage. You could be the next one. Your first step to becoming a corporate contender, start with a polished concrete floor.
We hope you enjoyed reading this article and were able to get some ideas on how you can use your garage in more progressive ways. If you know someone who can benefit from this information, please feel free to share it. Also, if you need any help with polishing the concrete in your garage to get you started, please reach out to us.
Author: Z Dharamsey