What Is The Best Way To Remove Rust Stains From Clothes Or Fabric?
How to remove rust stains from clothes is usually a challenge mainly because the stain or stains consist of iron oxide particles. Interestingly, some treatments may actually set deeper the very stain you are trying to remove. So be careful. A little knowledge of chemistry comes to the rescue.
Gather The Materials You Will Need To Remove The Rust Stain
You can pick one of the three options listed below.
- Lemon/lemon juice and table salt
- Mild dishwashing soap and ammonia
- Commercial rust removal product. (If you have chosen to go with a commercial rust removal product, please be sure to follow the instructions on the package.)
Instructions For Removing The Rust Stain
Method 1: Remove Rust Stains From Clothes
- To begin with, do not apply chlorine bleach as this will react with the stain and can intensify the discoloration.
- Remove as much of the rust stain as possible before applying any treatment.
- Saturate the spot with lemon juice
- Sprinkle salt on the lemon juice.
- Leave to stand for 24 hours allowing the lemon juice and salt to react. If required, re-dampen the spot with lemon juice.
- After 24 hours, do not rub the stain as the fibers are now tender and may be damaged. Try to blot the spot.
- Rinse with cold water. If the stain is stubborn, you may need to repeat the above steps.
Method 2: Remove Rust Stains From Clothes
- A second way to remove rust stains is to mix 1/4 teaspoon of mild liquid dish soap in one cup warm water. Apply generously to the affected area and allow to stand for about 5-10 minutes. This usually helps to remove Rust Stain On Fabric
rust stains fairly easily, dependent on the length of time the stain has set and intensity of the stain.
- Again, avoid vigorous agitation and blot the area with a clean white cloth and/or paper towel. Rinse with cold water.
- The process may need to be repeated depending on the intensity of the stain.
- Do remember to wash the spot enough to remove the soap completely.
- In the case the stain is still visible, mix 2 tablespoons of ammonia in approximately 4 cups of warm water and apply resulting solution to the affected area.
- At this point also, avoid the temptation to agitate to try and remove the spot quickly. Blot with a paper towel or clean cloth.
- Rinse the area with cold water.
Following the above steps, carefully, will help to lighten and hopefully remove rust stains from clothes completely. Good luck with the endeavor and as stains go prevention is always better than the cure. Thank you for reading. Please feel free to share the information.
Author: Z Dharamsey